Welcome to my blog! I don't know how your phones and devices work, but the videos and the links work better when I scroll to the bottom of this page and click on View Web Version. If you don't, you're going to miss out on all sorts of cool stuff that is included in the right sidebar... and it's prettier.

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Yes! Home School Kidz Do Stuff

The Henry Doorly Zoo, Omaha NE

I've been a stay-at-home home-schooling mother for over 20 years.  I started out all super serious and scared to death that I wouldn't teach my kids everything they need to know, or teach them the "right" way-- whatever I thought "right" meant.  I have to say that I was a hard taskmaster with my first three kids and have been much more laid back and easy on the youngest three, which I'm reminded of periodically by the Older Ones.

I have realized over the years that everyone learns differently, not everyone is going to be A+ material in every subject. I've learned that everyone finds their niche, what they're good at.  I've learned that if you turn a kid loose with a question or an obsession, they will read and learn and absorb almost everything there is to read and learn and absorb about a topic. 

The most important thing I've learned is that "Learning is Natural", so stand back, give the kid some space, and let them do what comes naturally.  (Wow, I'm rather proud of this paragraph-- I didn't realize, till I read it, how progressive I've become over the years.)

Anyway, in answer to all those people who ask, Yes! Home School Kids Do Stuff.

This is our September Field Trip to Henry Doorly Zoo...

Home School Kidz, Part 1
The Butterfly Exhibit





The first snap of the shutter-- the wings were closed.

Second snap of the shutter-- the wings were open.

Third snap of the shutter-- the wings were closed.

We heard this bird long before we saw her.


 
 
Going through the exhibit is like entering another world-- it's a beautiful green lush jungle filled with butterflies.  You have to be careful where you step; you have to allow them to land where they will; you have to give them the right of way.  When you leave, you also have to check for hitchhikers!
 
There were other exhibits to go along with it, including an insect area, as well as mounted butterflies, and a view into the Lab.  It's way cool-- though the insect side might be a little intense if you don't like Creepy Crawlies (including spiders).

Mama and Emma


Papa and Sara
 
Upcoming Post:  Home School Kidz, Part 2
The Scott Aquarium
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my Amythyst! You have a lovely family and I am so glad you home schooled. You have done a wonderful job.......this field trip alone teaches more than any book ever could <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home Schooling is a hoot, Bella, it really is. I'm so glad that this has been our life. I don't regret one minute of the time I spent home with my kids.

    ReplyDelete