MIL #3 never stopped talking, usually at 100mph, with her eyes opened oddly wide in rapt enthusiasm (or mania). At first, dutiful daughter-in-law that I was, I gave my full undivided attention to her constant stream of chatter. The result of this was that, at the end of an hour, I was totally exhausted, left with a pounding headache.
This woman was a psychic vampire. I taught myself to tune her out and conserve my own energy.
What did I learn from this woman?
- Know when to stop talking. You'd think this would be a natural instinctive thing to know, but it's not. I've met several people who will drown you with their endless chatter; the result is one-way conversation.
- Don't be afraid of your own shadow. Actually, this is most often where you will find peace and solace.
- Don't be afraid of new ideas; they don't bite. You don't even have to accept them into your realm, just know they are nothing to fear.
- Protect, with a vengeance, your personal freedom and choices.
- Make Common Sense your best friend.